Thursday, May 1, 2008

addiction

give me a light
it's time to get this fire started
inhale
I can taste the sweetness of mass-manufactured tobacco
and smell it too
exhale
do it again and again
I keep flicking the wheel and burning the fire
I'm mesmerized by nicotine while my common sense disagrees.
Shut Up common sense I say when doubts creeps into my mind and attempts to prevent the stroke of fire from lighting yet another parliament.

addiction
I can't stop buying drinks
my bank account is drained and yet VISA is getting richer and the bartender knows my name
addiction
I can't stop saying Yes
we are only young once, why not take it to the extreme?
There is plenty of time to sleep when you're dead, they say
so stay awake, smoke blunts to wake n bake, drink milk, masturbate, spend money on sloppy memories, write poetry, then burn it and forget your rhyme schemes.
this isn't math class
no one is watching or grading you, no one is judging you.

we are all addicted to something.
coffee
tea
spending money
drugs
you name it
if there was a building full of all the things people are addicted to, we would call it Wal-Mart
with cigarettes
food
cars
music
clothing
I want to burn it all down and re-discover some deep childhood innocence
but that idea seems hollow
even as a child I was addicted to toys
girls
soccer
fire
innocence may exist if you look through a nostalgic lens and overlook the fact that you're addicted to nostalgia itself in the first place

addiction
it's always coming in first
religion
work
procrastination
we are all addicted to something

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I perhaps shall simply keep silent